How to Cook Jollof Rice - Easy Recipes with Serving Tips in 2024
Jollof rice is a popular dish in West Africa, but nowadays, it has become famous in many countries. Its specialty is its special long grain rice and secret recipe. The different blend of spices combined with the ability to control heat makes the taste of this special rice more appealing. Many of us have had the opportunity to taste this rice, but many of us do not know how to cook jollof rice. Let's learn about the popular African jollof rice recipe and its health benefits so you can easily cook and serve it to your loved ones. Stay tuned with us.
What is Jollof Rice
Before knowing the recipe, let's know what Jollof rice is. Jollof Rice is a popular Nigerian dish. It is cooked with tomato stew, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, and savory spices like garlic. The dish is a staple food in West Africa, particularly Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia, and Senegal. They often serve the dish on holidays, birthdays, weddings, and family gatherings. This dish is gaining popularity day by day among the residents of Dubai and is also in demand on various occasions.
What are the essential ingredients for Jollof rice recipe?
Ingredients You need for a jollof rice recipe -
- 6 medium-sized fresh tomatoes.
- 5 to 7 fresh red poblano peppers, seeds removed and regular chopped
- 3 to 4 medium-sized red onions, thinly sliced.
- 1-2 to hot peppers or yellow scotch bonnets.
- ⅓ cup oil - you can take vegetable/coconut/canola oil but not olive oil.
- Tomato paste 3 tbsp.
- Curry powder 2 tsp.
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- 2-3 dry bay leaves
- 6 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, or beef) or water divided
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups uncooked long-grain rice or golden sela basmati
Additional: slice onion, tomato
How to cook delicious jollof rice - Step by Step
- Step 1 - Add 1 tsp curry powder and thyme, 1 tsp salt, 1 spice cube, and ½ cup chopped onion to your choice of beef/chicken and let it sit for a while. Set the oven to desired heat and let it boil for 10-15 minutes. Remember, beef takes longer to cook than chicken.
- Step 2 - Take a clean, fresh bowl and set the meat and stock to one side. Then peel and grind about ½ kg of ginger/garlic.
- Step 3 - Boil rice normally in a pot with 4 cups of rice in 7 cups of water. Then, wash the boiled rice thoroughly with clean water. Then, put it in a bowl or plastic sieve to keep it neat.
- Step 4 - Take out the boiled savory meat and deep-fries and keep them aside.
- Step 5 - When the chicken/beef turns red while frying, reduce the oil to 250 ml and add a cup of chopped onion. Stir for 1-2 minutes and add chopped tomatoes. I personally like to cook jollof rice with leftover oil from roasting meat, and it is delicious.
- Step 6 - Now fry the tomatoes well. Fry the tomato slices in boiling oil for about 20 minutes. While frying, remember that the tomatoes do not turn black due to over-frying.
- Step 7 - In the same bowl, stir in the roasted tomatoes - ginger/garlic paste, ½ tsp curry and thyme, chicken/beef stock, 4 cups water, and salt to taste. To these, you add another seasoning cube. Keep stirring to mix everything well.
- Step 8 - In this step, you now add the rice. Cover well. Once the rice is added, cook on low for 30-35 minutes.
This is how popular African recipes are made. Once the Jollof rice is fully cooked, serve with your desired garnish.
What is the nutritional value of Jollof Rice?
This Nigerian food is very healthy and tasty which is why this food is in high demand in Dubai. Jollof rice is a good source of iron, potassium, and vitamin C. However, let's find out how much Jollof rice usually contains-
- Fiber: 2g
- Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 476mg
- Protein: 5g
- Calories: 285
- Carbohydrates: 47g
However, its nutritional value may vary depending on the cooking method and ingredients.
Is Jollof rice good for weight loss?
The recipe is made with many nutritious ingredients. Whole grain rice and vegetables are high in fiber and low in calories. Jollof rice can be an excellent healthy option if you eat it in the right amount. But keep in mind that high-fat ingredients like oil are added to the recipe. So overeating of this delicious food can lead to extra calories and weight gain. Remember, you should consult your doctor before adding Jollof rice to your weight loss diet.
What to serve with jollof rice— what goes with jollof rice?
If you want to serve it more enticingly in African style, add the following ingredients to your plate and serve. Such as -
- African beef stew.
- Curried goat stew.
- Chicken stew (African-style)
- Suya chicken.
- Asun (spicy roast goat)
- Fried plantains.
- Spicy grilled chicken.
- Fried chicken.
- Cucumber tomato salad.
- Grilled tilapia fish or gizzards.
- Goat liver fry
Can you store Jollof rice in the refrigerator?
Yes, you can store Jollof rice in an airtight container in your fridge for up to three days. Remove from the fridge and reheat in the oven before serving.
Final word about “How to Cook Jollof Rice”
Many people in Dubai love this quintessentially Nigerian recipe to cook at home. But they wonder if I can cook properly. Or whether I can maintain its healthy nutritional value. Thinking about them, today we discussed the jollof rice recipe. We have covered the recipe entirely in this article. So you can easily cook and serve at home in a healthy and tasty way.